Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mary Louise (Gabbei) Wohlferd - Class of 1932

MADISON - Mary Louise Wohlferd, born in Madison, on Sept. 9, 1917, departed this earth on Thursday, March 15, 2007, at age 89. The daughter of Paul and Mathilda (Schwingel) Gabbei, she graduated from Madison Central in 1932 and married Robert S. Wohlferd on April 20, 1940. During World War II they were stationed in San Francisco, where she worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Upon returning to Madison, she worked many years for S. A. Mahlkuch and Sherman Geib, Realtors. Mary was a life long member of Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church where she was very committed, singing in the choir, working many hours with her friends at Blanket Workshop and volunteering for numerous other duties. She was an honored volunteer for friends of WHA-TV and enjoyed gardening, cooking and her friends. She is survived by her children, Stephen of San Francisco, Calif., Monica (Wally Breitman) of Sonoma, Calif. and Mark of Middleton; granddaughters, Tiranie (Aaron) Teschner and Angela; great-granddaughters, Rhiannon and Cecilia Teschner; and numerous nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Robert; brothers, Harold and Roger; and her sister, Roselyn. A funeral service is set for 10:30 a.m. on Friday, March 23, 2007, at ST. JOHN'S LUTHERAN CHURCH, 322 E. Washington Ave., Madison, with Pastor Ken Smith presiding. A luncheon will follow at the church. A private interment is planned for later. Memorials may be made to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Life's Weaving My life is but a weaving Between my God and me; I may not choose the colors, He knows what they should be; For He can view the pattern Upon the upper side, While I can see it only On this, the under side. Sometimes He weaveth sorrow, Which seemeth strange to me; But I will trust His judgment, And work on faithfully: 'Tis He who fills the shuttle, He knows just what is best; So I shall weave in earnest And leave with Him the rest. At last, when life is ended, With Him I shall abide, Then I may view the pattern Upon the upper side; Then I shall know the reason Why pain with joy entwined, Was woven in the fabric Of life that God designed. Gunderson West Funeral and Cremation Centers 7435 University Ave. (608) 831-6761

Originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on March 18, 2006

1 comment:

D Strand said...

I did not know Mrs. Wohlferd, I don't think, but the poem really moved me and I wanted to say that and that I went to church across the street from her St. John's Lutheran at Our Savior's Lutheran for a lot of years! God Bless you Mrs. Wohlfred. Rest in Peace!