Sunday, April 12, 2009

Obituary: Dolores Jean Caire Gavin - Class of 1955

MAPLE GROVE, MINN./MADISON - Dolores Jean Caire Gavin age 71, of Maple Grove, Minn., and formerly of Madison, went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday, March 25, 2009, at Maranatha Care Center, Brooklyn Park, after a valiant six year battle with breast cancer. She was born on Aug. 29, 1937, to Edgar Pierce and Mary Beulah Caire in Madison, where she lived until relocating to Maple Grove, Minn., in 2002. She was the eldest of the four "Caire Girls": Dolores, Corinne, Marie "Patsy" and Gretchen. She was a graduate of Central High School (Class of 1955) and Madison Business College (1957). She is survived by and was married, for 50 joyous years, to Maurice B. Gavin Sr. of Mobile, Alabama. From this union came four children, Maurice II (Tamara), Pastor Aaron Gavin (Paula), Amelia (Josh) and Colin (Kris); 13 beloved grandchildren; and her sisters, Marie (Patsy) Thomas and Gretchen Caire. She also leaves behind many extended loved ones from the Thomas, Lunnon, Gavin, Pierce, Karaway, McWatters, Padgett, Muhlfelder, and Briscoe families and Ghanaian children, Seth and Tina. She was committed to her prayer partners at Living Word Christian Center and credited the church's prayer groups with helping her "beat the odds" as long as she did. She was predeceased by her father, Edgar Pierce; her mother, Mary Beulah; and her sister, Corinne. A memorial service for family and friends will be held later this summer in Madison. For more information, please call or email Maurice Gavin II, (763) 219-1400 or

Originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on April 12, 2009

1 comment:

Maurice said...

My mother Dolores loved her says at Central High School. To anyone who misses her I would like to tell you that it was her Christian faith that made her battle with breast cancer for 6 years without treatment a victory versus a defeat. She ultimately told her second son (I'm the first) she was ready to 'go home' as she was having trouble with a severe bout of pneumonia. She closed her eyes in sleep less than 24 hours later and was gone. No suffering. The Dr's had just give her an additional year to live the Friday before.