Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Obituary: William Howard "Bill" Best - Class of 1953

MADISON - William Howard "Bill" Best, age 71, passed away unexpectedly on Monday, Jan. 9, 2006, surrounded by his family. He was born on May 24, 1934, in Beaver Dam, to Howard and Dorothy (Gordon) Best. Bill graduated from Madison Central High School in 1953. He served his country in the U.S. Army. After graduation from the police academy Bill began a long career in law enforcement. He worked as a police officer for the town of Blooming Grove, town of Middleton and town of Madison. Bill then owned and operated Tri-State Security. He was united in marriage to the love of his life, Pat, in 1976. In 1982, he ran for sheriff in Dane county. After the election, Bill and his wife, Patricia, started Civil Process and Private Investigations. For the past 20 years, he and Pat worked side by side to create Best Civil Process. Bill was an active lifetime member of the Madison Elks Lodge No. 410 and served on many committees. He was also a member of Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church and East Side Business Men's Association. Bill especially loved spending time with his family. He is survived by his wife of 29 years, Patricia; a daughter, Deborah Best of Eau Claire; and her mother, Gerrie Blankshein of Sauk City; children, John (Jessie) Munz of Eagle River, Tom (Shawn) Munz of Monona, Sherry (Steve) Boyle of Madison, Bill (Kathy) Munz of Sun Prairie and Steve (DeAnn) Munz of Cottage Grove; grandchildren, Robert, Jennifer, Julie, Kelly, Jill, Katie, Michael, Joe, Adrianne, Niki, Hailey and Jacob; a great-grandson, Miles; a sister, Betty (Don) Meurer of Milwaukee; and brother-in-law, Jack (Mary) Sprague. Bill was preceded in death by his parents; a son, Robert Munz; a granddaughter, Ashly Munz; a sister, Beverly J. Best; and a special grandmother, Grandma Gordon. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY CATHOLIC CHURCH, 5101 Schofield Street, Monona, at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 13, 2006, with Father John Meinholz presiding. Burial will be at Roselawn Memorial Park with military rites conducted. Visitation will be at GUNDERSON EAST FUNERAL HOME, 5203 Monona Drive from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m., with a prayer service and Elks service at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2006, and at the church from 10:30 a.m. until the time of the service on Friday. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Bill's name to the US Bank, 4602 East Towne Blvd., Madison, WI 53704. A special thank you to Dr. Gilbert, Dr. Frontiera, Dr. Ahrens, and all the loving staff at the Dean Clinics and St. Marys Hospital. "I Am Always With You" To those I love and those who love me. When I am gone, release me, let me go. I have so many things to see and do. You must not tie yourself to me with tears. Be happy that we had so many years. I gave you my love, you can only guess, how much you gave me in happiness. I thank you for the love you each have shown. But now its time I travel on alone. So grieve awhile for me, if grieve you must, then let your grief be comforted by trust. It's only for awhile that we must part. So bless the memories within your heart. I won't be far away, call and I will come. Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near. And if you listen with your heart, you'll hear all of my love around you soft and clear. And then, when you must come this way alone, I'll greet you with a smile and "Welcome home." "Bill, we love you, rest in peace." Gunderson East Funeral & Cremation Centers 5203 Monona Drive (608) 221-5420

Originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on January 11, 2006

No comments: